Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cymbal #21:: Tightening Up

So I've been thinking. I've been going all doom and gloom on y'all, and no one likes a downer. I mean, listening to drone metal all day is all very well, but man, you gotta have a good time sometimes too. And to that end, a reeeeeally happy song.

Archie Bell and The Drells - Tighten Up - 1968


In fact, I'm groooving just sitting here. Can't keep still. Oh no! My shoulders, my behaind, it's all just shakin'. Mmmm mmm that's a tasty morning groove, nice and vibey.

Modernised, and oddly apologetic. Tellingly, off an album called Yo La Tengo is Murdering the Classics. Why should you have to feel sorry for being happy?

Yo La Tengo - Tighten Up - 2006
So let's play the genre game. Ain't nothing happier than some reggae.

The Untouchables - Tighten Up- 1968

And hey, because metal can be bloody cheerful if it wants to:

Ozzy Osbourne - Perry Mason - 1995
Boss, it doesn't matter how many bats you decapitate on the spur of the moment, we know you're a sweetheart sugarplum. :-)
_______________
Apologies for the unacceptable gap between issues. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment